Saturday, April 30, 2016

Those Brontë sisters

 Those Brontë sisters 

Not too long ago, I wrote about my friend Gaspar Stephens’ crabbed relationship with the church. (See here.) To summarize: Gaspar’s main difficulty is that he loves the sinner but hates the righteous.
     Having spent my evenings the last three weeks with the Brontë sisters, I can see why.

There are gaping holes in my sentimental education. Until this month, I had not read any of the sisters. But now I’ve read all three: the fast-paced if purple Tenant of Wildfell Hall; the dark, psychologically constipated Wuthering Heights; and the patchworked Jane Eyre.
No. 39
     One patch of the last has to do with the title character’s righteous cousin St. John Rivers’ righteous wish – or requirement – that Jane accompany him as his wife onto the mission field of India. St. John explains, if he doesn’t epitomize, why Gaspar reprehends the righteous – I’m afraid I believe - rightly.

St. John’s great ambition is to become one of God’s great servants. He presses Jane to join him in that ambition. In the beginning, before she knows what role he has written for her, she accedes to learning “Hindostanee” – because he asks her to and he is “not a man to be lightly refused,” who takes nothing lightly. “You felt that every impression made on him, either for pain or pleasure, was deep-graved and permanent,” she tells the reader.
     As her language “master,” Jane finds St. John patient; but even more he is exacting. And what he exacts finally is “a certain influence” over his pupil “that took away my liberty of mind,” so that Jane can “no longer talk or laugh freely when he [is] by,” because that is not what he expects of her. To please him, she finds, she will be required to “disown half my nature, wrest my tastes from their original bent, [and] force myself to the adoption of pursuits for which I had no natural vocation.”

There has been throughout the novel a conflict between custom and nature; in this case it is between St. John’s religion and Jane’s human desires. It is a conflict that Jane has often reflected on; it is one in which St. John has no interest whatever.
     Here is what he is interested in – and all he is interested in, his going to India to serve his “infallible Master; I am not going out under human guidance,” he tells Jane, “subject to the defective laws and erring control of my feeble fellow-worms; my king, my lawgiver, my captain is the All-perfect.”

St. John presses Jane to say she will come with him; but she will not say it. He asks her what her heart says, believing, whatever her tongue will not express, it must approve his plan; she answers that her heart, too, is “mute.” Then, he counters, he must speak for it – her heart; it says she must come.
     Jane continues to resist: she is “no apostle,” she says. And she asks for mercy, but he cannot grant it. Instead, St. John heaps up arguments why Jane should do what it is clear to him she will do. (His clarity is the clarity of the wholly unimaginative. He cannot begin to put himself in her place.) He grants that she is no apostle: She is right to be humble; but that is no excuse not to join in his work. Does she wish to fall into the sin of Demas, who forsook the Apostle, because he loved too much “this present world”?
     Perhaps Jane does love the world to much – or she loves life too much, because she knows that going with St. John will kill her. (She rightly describes his “persuasion” – advancing “with slow, sure step” – as an “iron shroud,” contracting round her.)
     Still, he requires her, a helpmeet “fitted to my purpose . . . fitted to my vocation.”

Be clear: St. John doesn’t love Jane; he doesn’t desire her. He has a purpose for her, his vocation. Listen: and you can hear in my purpose, my vocation a clear echo of my king, my law-giver, my captain. All belong to St. John. At least, he has no sense that his will for Jane can differ from God’s will for her.
     He is going to Cambridge the next day to say good-bye to friends; he’ll be gone two weeks. She must “take that space of time to [continue to] consider my offer,” not forgetting that “if you reject it, it is not me you deny, but God.” And “Here we are,” my marginal note reads: “Here we are, ever and again, among those men that are certain their wills are God’s will.”
     Jane feels, when her cousin is done preaching at – and threatening her, “an iron silence,” and in that silence she feels as well “the disappointment of an austere and despotic nature, which has met resistance where it expected submission; the disapprobation of a cool, inflexible judgment, which has detected in another feelings and views in which it has no power to sympathize.” And is this how God wills, austerely, despotically, coolly, inflexibly – relentlessly, without mercy. And “resolved on a conquest”?
          The silence cannot continue. That same night at “the [family] prayer following chapter” – Jane is living at this time with St. John’s sisters - St. John summons all his energy and “stern zeal,” and in deep earnest he wrestles aloud, “resolved,” it is clear to her, on a conquest.” The clear reference to Jacob’s nighttime wrestling with the Angel suggests that St. John is also wrestling with God. But it is not God St. John needs to wrestle with.
          These great men of the faith, they don’t. They do not need to say, “Not my will but thy will,” for how could God’s will differ from theirs. If they wrestle with God in prayer (for we have heard them do so), it is only rhetorically, for practically they have already defeated him. He has been brought onto their side long since; he can be on no others’. These great men of faith have left to conquer only those of us, hell-bent stragglers that love the world too much that don’t understand that the battle with God has already been won.
04.30.16

No comments:

Post a Comment