Thursday, April 7, 2016

Carping about the day

 Carping at the day                                                                           

After three days sick to death, I’ve forgotten how to get out of bed. Instead, I daydream, fantasize, listen to the radio, read; I belch, fart, drink the coffee the dog brought me, and consider not remembering – the Proust fantasy without all the friends dropping by: I have no desire to “receive”; I am completely happy with my imaginary playmates. But, I’ve promised to get to work at least by this afternoon.
     Eventually my bowels will force me out. Then, the day – as distinct from the night before – will begin. “One at a time!”

Uncle Albert thinks that, “one day at a time,” is a selfish philosophy. He may be right; it’s certainly not an expansive one.
          Or, it is. This day will come and go like many others in a jagged series of small, restless movements, stuttering like a wind-up clock, quivering like a rabbit, looking back over its shoulder at Easter, and ahead as far as it can sniff, then lurching off sideways in a hop borrowed from the Ministry of Silly Walks.

04.07.16

No comments:

Post a Comment