Sunday, April 24, 2016

"Bible Week" continues - just two more days.

 “Bible Week” at The Ambiguities 

But the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.       - “Then to the Gentiles . . . ?”

When the apostles and their followers who were in Judea heard that some Gentiles had received the word of God, from Peter, it was said, they wondered. So when he came back to Jerusalem, they asked him to meet with them. “How is it,” they said, “you went to Gentiles? And you also ate with them?”
     Peter’s explanation: “I was in Joppa, where Jonah sailed from to escape warning the Ninevites that they should repent. I was praying. And I fell into a trance, and this is what I saw:
shrimp cocktail
     “Something like a great blanket, coming down from the skies, held by each of its corners; and it was spread out before me: a picnic – Scots rabbit curry, pickled pigs’ feet, shrimp with cocktail sauce, lobster bisque, crawfish gumbo, gator-tail steaks, three different turtle soups, frogs’ legs, Aaron Sanchez’s grasshopper bacon bits, BLTs, Dagwood-piled-high ham and Swiss on rye. And more.”
     “And I heard a voice: ‘Peter, wake up and eat.’ But I said, ‘No,” because I had never eaten anything unclean.
     “The voice said again, ‘These are gifts of God – eat.’
     “Three times the voice said, ‘Eat.’ And three times I denied it. Then the picnic returned to heaven.
     “But at that very moment three men arrived at the house where I was staying in Joppa, sent to me from Caesarea. And the Spirit told me to go with them, “making no distinction,” It said. And I went, because this was the fourth command I had heard.
     “Six of us went, and we came to the house of the man that had sent for us. He told us how he had seen an angel in his house and how it had said, ‘Send to Joppa for Simon called Peter; and he will bring you a message by which you will be saved, you and your entire family.’
     “As I was thinking about my message, the Spirit suddenly fell on them just as it fell on us at the beginning, just as the Lord said: ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Spirit.’ So, that’s the way it was. I saw it. God gave these people the same gift God gave us when we believed. Who was I to stand in the way?”
     “Who was I?” suggested “Who are you?” The apostles of Judea had nothing to say to that, except, “Then to the Gentiles God has also granted repentance unto life?”

04.24.16

No comments:

Post a Comment