Saturday, April 9, 2016

Another parable

If Gaspar Stephens continues to poke at me, especially about matters of religion, that's a good thing, I think. But if I become provoked and write as I did to him recently that I find myself reading Scripture more and more as parable, is that (a good thing)?
    Consider the story from The Ambiguities of April 6th , "Phineas the Impaler." How could it be a parable? What lesson would it teach - that is, if parables are lessons!

               A man came to The Teacher. "I have heard that you say that we should never kill, or 
          even become angry with others, lest we judged. Can the past ever pass away?" The man 
          said this not because he was anxious about his past but because feared the future.
               The Teacher said: "The kingdom of God was once compared to a man who brought 
          a foreign woman to his tent. And a priest, when he saw it, went and fetched his spear; 
          and he followed them, and when he had found them, the man on top of the woman, 
          he ran the spear through both of them, the man's back and the woman's belly, and 
          into the bloody ground.
               "Who has ears, let him hear."

No comments:

Post a Comment