Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The telephone

 The telephone    

We still have a wall phone. It's in the kitchen with a calendar above and the phone numbers we can't remember in a neat list beside. It’s cordless, but I leave the receiver in the cradle. Then, I have to get up to answer when it rings - or, more accurately, chirps. First, I read the caller ID. Then, mostly, I don’t answer. I press the button that turns the ring off, even if the phone upstairs will continue trilling.
     I don’t carry the receiver with me; that would save steps. And I don’t ignore the phone when it rings; that would save steps. I get up to answer it, even if usually I don’t.
     I don’t like interruptions, but the annoyance is good for me.

10.25.17

2 comments:

  1. You need to keep a phone for the annoyance factor? Are you not reading the news?

    ReplyDelete