Saturday, June 13, 2015

Around the corner

June 13, 2015
Around the corner
 
Uncle Albert writes:

 
Tree
    You know that song without bounds – you  
    can sing it forever, like the bearded then beardless 
    “Michael Finnegan,” but I like this one better:

     “Around the corner and under a tree,”
          A sergeant-major said this to me:
     “Who would marry you, I would like to know?
          For every time I look at your face, 
                                   it makes me want to go

     “Around the corner and under a tree,”

I have been working on this (next) that La Rochefoucauld never dreamed of, I don’t think, the unending sentence. It’s more difficult than it looks. Or, maybe it’s as difficult as it looks, since this isn’t very good, but :

It is not always we who are false; sometimes the world plays false with us. When it does, we should not try to run away – as those arrogant fools, the monks and the mystics,* do. For where can we run to?
     But: the monks and the mystics are not alone. Aren’t we all looking for opportunities to fool ourselves? This is not to say that it is always we who are false; sometimes the world 
_______________
     * If the purpose of the form weren’t economy, I might have added “the macroeconomists” and “the masturbators” (if you can tell any of them apart).

No comments:

Post a Comment