Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Just outside of Paradise


March 12, 2014
When things go south in Paradise

Il y a des faussités déguisées qui représentent si bien la verité, que ce serait mal juger que de ne si pas laisser tromper.[1]La Rochefoucald  

Actually, I’m not in Paradise but one of its frozen suburbs. This is what happens when you visit your Uncle Albert in winter, though it’s March and you thought by then winter might be going, if not gone. As Uncle Albert likes to say, “Well, that’s what thinking’ll do for you.” There’s no vocal emphasis on the “you”; but you (meaning I in this case) can hear it nevertheless.
          Uncle Albert is nobody’s uncle − I can say that with confidence, since I know he’s an only child. He’s a cousin of my mother, who also called him “Uncle Albert,” though he can’t be too much older than she would be if she were still alive. That puts him somewhere in his early nineties. He lives by himself in a little two bedroom house that was built for summer. He bought it as a summer place a number of years ago, but then he sold it. Then, he decided he was going to live up here year round and managed somehow to rent it. It’s warm enough; he supplements the lousy baseboard heat with space heaters. And he’s wired.
          He spends half his day on the internet and the other half watching Fox and CNN in turn. The other half he spends sleeping. Actually, the internet and Fox/CNN half are the same. While he emails his senators and representatives (state and federal) and members of their staffs and anyone he thinks, as he puts it, “could somehow stick a firecracker up the wazoo of the Koch brothers − or any of their ilk,” he watches Fox and CNN, switching back and forth at whim, giving me a running commentary and yelling at both, equally loudly and joyfully. He loves both politics and powerlessness. He worships FDR and frustration.
          Despite all that he’s a giant pain in the ass.

I’m here this week, because my [expletive deleted] sister promised when she was here that I’d come in early March. There are six nieces/nephews somehow related, and we’re each supposed to come up twice a year and check in, so he won’t be dead more than a few weeks before somebody finds him. I found him unremittingly alive.

I don’t know how he gets along when none of us is here, because he’s completely helpless when we are − at least, when I am. Yet he does. He manages to eat without my cooking for him. He keeps his dishes, glasses, silverware, and tea cups clean without my washing them. He drinks his five cups of tea a day without my brewing it. He empties his own ashtray. He answers the phone. I don’t know how, but he must do these things.
          When I’m here, though, I do all of them and more. He’s like a four-year-old in need of constant attention. If yours wanders for a moment: “Hey, come look at this.”  He’s stuck in his recliner under his lap desk, looking at something on his PC, something I won’t be able to see even when I get there because of the clash of light from the window and his lamp and the angle of the screen. So, I grunt, “Uh-huh?” − knowing he’ll tell me about it. “That’s that anal-exfusion[2] from Kentucky.” I’m wondering which “anal-exfusion,” but I say, “Uh-huh?”  “Says he’s a libertarian. Doesn’t know what that means. Can’t want the government off your back on Monday morning and looking over your shoulder by nightfall. Read that.” He highlights six or eight lines. All I can see is the yellow. “Uh-huh.”  “Right. Idiot!”
          I go sit down again. I have a cushion in the middle of the couch between a pile of newspapers and a pile of magazines from which I occasionally hand him something. “It’s the sixth one down,” he says pointing to the papers.  He’s always right.  “Put it back where you found it, make sure,” he says when he’s done with it.

Today, the toilet didn’t flush. After I plunged it, we called the plumber, meaning I did. He comes over. He’s pretty sure it’s the septic tank. And it’s ten degrees outside. “Call Hummer,” Uncle Albert says. Hummer is the guy that owns the house now. He lives in Detroit but he’s from up here somewhere. “His number’s on the board by the phone. Tell him I’m going to need to move my ancient bowels before the week’s out.”
          I got here Sunday. My younger bowels are rumbling. It’s Wednesday. “Rumble, rumble, rumble. Grumble, grumble, grumble.” My plane leaves from the Soo Saturday afternoon.

W
(I’m not wrong about this one.)




[1] There are untruths disguised to imitate so well the truth that it would be bad judgment not to be deceived by them. 
[2] I’m not pulling punches; this is the way he talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment