Thursday, January 25, 2018

Vassar

 Vassar 

This was Thursday.
     I asked Dr. Feight about my medication. Was there any combination less tiring that would keep the demons away as well?
     Were the demons staying away? he asked
     “No,” I said, not completely, but they didn’t seem to be stopping by as often or staying as long when they did.
     “Mmmm,” he said.
     I was reading a book about Horace, I told him, Horace and His Art of Enjoyment. “There was a man with no demons,” I said.
 
After the session, as he was walking me to the door as he always does, Dr. Feight asked me how far I’d gotten with the book. “On Horace?” “Yes.” “Well, really, only a few pages in,” I said.
     He knew it, it turns out. “By Elizabeth Hazelton Haight,” he said, “of Vassar College.” She had taught his mother, who had a picture of her - among others - in her study.
     “Mmmm,” I said.
01.24.18

No comments:

Post a Comment