Saturday, January 28, 2017

Saturday in a parka with Al

to listen, click here
 Saturday in a parka with Al 

“It’s amazing – and don’t tell me what the thermostat says – it’s amazing how much colder it’s become as the globe has warmed,” Uncle Albert, wrapped in my anorak, said this morning at breakfast.  “I know what I know and damn-all to anyone that doesn’t know the same thing,” he added.
     He also said:
Uncle Anorak

     “I don’t think I’ve ever met a righteous person that wasn’t also self-righteous. Then, I’ve never met anyone that isn’t self-righteous to some degree. Cynics are cynical about everyone but themselves.”

     “Humility is no match for ego. Even if I look a hundred years old and smell of rotting flesh, if my mind is beginning to fail and I know it, that I recognize my failings, when others clearly don’t recognize theirs, becomes a source of pride.”

     “So, the church tells us that Jesus was human as well as divine – ‘the Gospels tell me so.’ How is it then, according to them, whenever he ‘went aside’ it was to pray, never to pee?”

Roz didn’t have to go to work today, so we ate late but well: eggs and toast and bacon, orange juice and coffee. “You’re on your own for the rest of the day,” she said, as we got up from the table.
     I washed and Uncle Albert, still seated, dried. Then I put everything away.

Later, Arsenal beat Southampton 5-0 (pronounced “nill”). Later still, Roz went out with her friend Jackie, and Uncle Albert and I took naps.

01.28.17

No comments:

Post a Comment