Thursday, July 21, 2016

Fathers and sons

 Fathers and sons 

Dateline, still Paradise. Late last night.

“My father,” Uncle Albert was saying, “was an anal pore – most fathers are. But he was a well-intentioned, just wildly incompetent anal pore – most fathers are. And he cared about me in his own way as most fathers do. 
     "What do you say when your father’s a narcissist, not to mention an ogre to your mother?
DT Jr by m ball
If you’re on national television and you’re scared to death of the old man, because he still outweighs you by a hundred pounds no matter how much you’ve grown and how much he’s shrunk. You’re still scared to death – most sons are - what do you do? You burble along about how much you love him and you imagine aloud what a great guy he could have been if he weren’t your father and a narcissist and an ogre to your mother. And an anal pore.”
     I didn’t say anything.

“Let’s go to bed – help me up,” Uncle Albert said, reaching out. “I’m not going to listen to this Gingrich fellow. He’s a sociopath.” He shook his head. “Bad as Hillary,” I thought I heard him say; but he was swallowing his words. But when I got him to his feet, he said clearly: “On passe souvent de l’amour à l’ambition, mais on ne revient guère.”*
    “La Rochefoucauld?”
     He shook his head, meaning “You dope! but yes, of course.”

I was guiding him down the hall to his room, wondering as always, how he gets there when no one is with him – which is more of the time than not. He stopped midway I thought to rest but turned toward me: “Thank God, my boy, that you’ve never been ambitious. You think that’s a failing, but it’s not.”

07.21.16

_______________
* People often go from love to ambition, but they seldom return.

No comments:

Post a Comment