Thursday, July 28, 2016

Brenda Lee and Gracie Allen

 Brenda Lee and Gracie Allen in the bubble wrap of Uncle Albert's mind 

    “Brenda Lee,” Uncle Albert said. [See here.]
     Pause. I’m thinking.
     I’m still thinking. “Not Connie Francis?” I ask.
     “No. . . . Hell, no.”
     “Not ‘the chicken and the egg’?”
     “No, that one is solved.”
     Pause. I’m thinking. I say, “By whom? And how?”
     “I don’t know who solved it. Maybe I did, though more likely I read it somewhere.” 
     Pause.
     The pause lengthens.
     Until I give in.
      “Are you going to share?” I ask him.
     “What?”
     “The solution.” I look at him. He doesn't look back. “To the ‘the chicken and the egg.’
     “Actually, there are two.”
     Pause. This is like pulling hen’s teeth, I think. “Yes?”
     “If you accept Darwin’s theory of evolution, the egg must come first, laid by the immediate forebear of the chicken.”
     “That makes sense, I guess.”
     “If you are a creationist, the chicken comes first. See Genesis 1:21 – God creates whales and every water creature and ‘every winged fowl according to its kind.’ et vidit Deus quod esset bonum.
     “‘Say ‘goodnight,’ Gracie,” I said.
     “Brenda,” Uncle Albert said. “Lee.”
07.28.16

No comments:

Post a Comment