Friday, August 1, 2014

I'd say I'm an understanding person.



August 1, 2014
Another Apostle, Another Act 

So, an Ambiguities passer-by sent me a recording of a sermon on the Tower of Babel passage and the story from Acts about Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch. The point seems to have been that the Babel-onions built the city and the tower to defend themselves by keeping others out; contrariwise, Philip did not defend Jewish Christianity from this eunuch from Ethiopia, the servant of the Candace, a foreign queen. The faith does not need defending; it needs people like Philip, who responds to the eunuch’s question, “What is to prevent my being baptized?” by saying, in effect, “Nothing,” however many things he might be able to think of. We are not about building fences but tearing them down. (Clearly a political as well as a theological statement in this day and time.)

I don’t know about any of that, but the story I was reminded of it and how much I’ve always enjoyed it. In the TRV it goes like this.  If the YouTube icon below doesn’t work, click here


No comments:

Post a Comment