Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Usually*

Usually*

This morning I picked up my cellphone to read “the news,” which I did until I came on a story that began, “You can draw a straight line from [one very complicated historical event of about twenty-five years ago] to [another very complicated historical event of about twenty-five days ago].” And I stopped. “You can draw a straight line,” I said in my mind, “from Archangel to Cape Horn, but it would never get there.” I said, “You can’t trust a story that begins that way. It isn’t only going to be too simple, it’s not going to be true. Especially, it’s not going to be true to life. It’ll only prove a point that won’t be true either.”
     Then, I declared that I wasn’t going to read “the news” for the rest of the week. It’s not a declaration I’m likely to keep to. And I’ll be sorry when I don’t.
     Selah.
                                                                        09.14.21 
_______________
* I don’t usually write my post in a minute-and-a-half like I’ve written this one. It usually takes me a minute-and-a-half per word. So, take that into account, gentle reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment