Friday, February 5, 2021

Arsenal to miss next two matches.

  Arsenal to miss next two matches.  

I was talking to Axel: “I don’t know how it happened, but I seem to have the copy of the email you sent to Gaspar – you must have copied me, right? And I have his reply. Are you sure you don’t have it? The reply?” (See here.)
     “No.”
     “I don’t know how but maybe he somehow failed to include you?”
     “Right, Ted.”

     “I could forward it to you then?”

     “You could, but it wouldn’t prove anything.”

     “What do you mean?”

     “It’s no argument for the existence of Stephens.”

     “I suppose not,” I said. “So, I won’t send it, then,” I said.

     A grunt.

 

“What suposest thou not?” Uncle Albert asked. He was watching Fulham – Leicester City because Arsenal isn’t playing. The Gunner’s season is on hiatus: they miss their next two matches because of excessive red cards.

     “It’s impossible,” I said, “to make anyone believe what they doubt.”

     “Maybe not impossible,” Uncle Albert said, “but at least as difficult as making anyone doubt what he believes.”

     “Bad grammar,” I said. (I know anyone is singular.) “Sorry.”

     “Bad grammar,” Uncle Albert agreed, “but ‘woke.’” I heard the quotes around the adjective.

 

The prodigal son calls home. His
older  brother answers.**
It was 0-2 at the half. James Maddison, “the founder,” as UA likes to call him, had assisted on both goals.     “Do you hear any more from that dead girl that was writing you about Hardy?” Uncle Albert asked.

     “I do,” I said. “She wants to know something about reconciliation. She keeps hearing the term. She understands that it’s theological as well as psychological – it has feet in the air as well as on the ground, as she puts it. But what does it mean? The feet on the ground seem no more solidly planted than the feet in the air.”

     “She’s asking you?”

     “She heard I was some kind of theologian.”

     “What kind? Misinformed?”

     “I’m not misinformed,” I said. “I’m only poorly informed.”

     Une distinction sans difference,” Uncle Albert said.

 “Pardon my French,” Uncle Albert said.
                                                                           02.04.21
 

_______________
  *  Though I would insist he does. See here.
 **
“No. No, dont. No, he’s not here. No, listen, Carl, I know it’s you …”

No comments:

Post a Comment