Thursday, February 6, 2020

Next?

 Next? 

Three questions of Ted Riich:
This has been going on for quite a while. How long?
You mean The Ambiguities. The first post was New Year’s Eve, 2013 with a detail from George Grosz’s Blood Is the Best Sauce.
And this is how many posts later?
This is the 709th.
And the last? Now, it’s over?
It looks like it if I still hope it may not be. Hope against hope, as The Apostle says.
     I don’t know the cause, but my concentration has become practically non-existent since we got the cat. I can’t think in a straight line for more than a centimeter or two; then it turns and I find myself, oddly, meters away from where I’d begun, in another room on another floor, even outside on the street - in my pajamas. Shivering. Still, I do hope it’s not. Hope against hope.
That’s where?
Romans 4, but don’t ask me what it means, part of that odd, prooftextual argument about the justification of Abraham who believed before there was Law. He didn’t distrust God’s promise that he would have a son even if he were a hundred years old and Sara ninety-nine. Rather - I’ll have to look this up . . . Verse 18: “In hope he believed against hope, that he should be the father of many nations.”
     Not that it matters what Romans says. What we mean when we say we hope against hope that we’ll find the twenty we lost is that unless the God we don’t entirely believe in - certainly not like Abraham did - unless God finds the twenty, we have no hope at all.
Thank you.
Yes. Thanks for stopping by.
02.06.20
_______________
 * I might have ended it already, but fond hope says, “Keep on! Tomorrow will be better.” 
                                                                                                               - ALTS (the Another Loose Translation Society)

No comments:

Post a Comment