Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Reading Kristin Lavransdatter

 Reading Kristin Lavransdatter   

“What do you hear from your sister?” Uncle Albert asked. This was Monday on our way to my appointment with Dr. Feight. And Uncle Albert meant Moira, my dead sister, not Hannah, the alive one. He asks because he thinks it’s nuts that I get letters from a dead sister. That’s why he asks me about it on the way to Dr. Feight’s because Dr. Feight is in charge of “nuts.” Almost every week, he asks about it.*
     I told him I’d brought a letter to read to Dr. Feight. “You’re mentioned in it,” I said.
     He didn’t reply, and I didn’t look at him because I was paying attention to my driving. He didn’t reply. It happens more and more. He asks a question then falls asleep before you can answer – even in the car.

I read Dr. Feight the letter from Moira.

Dear Ted,

I see you are making plans again. Is that going to make it any better? But, maybe, for you, it is. You seem to like a plan. You’re anxious until you have one. Then, sadly, you’re anxious about its working. It’s not until you begin making a plan that you also begin to think about how it could go wrong.
Uncle Albert yukking it up with Sigrid Undset
Copenhagen, 1940 / by m ball
     How are you getting along with Kristin Lavrandsdatter? Are the characters as hemmed in and sad about their choices as I remember them? Is anyone going to get any release? I forget, it’s been so long ago.
     I wondered often as my life was winding down about how I could get release, maybe by taking a vacation from myself. No, I didn’t know that it was winding down; I didn’t know when it would end (though I never imagined it lasting as long as Uncle Albert’s has – how is he by the way?). I did know it was growing tighter and tighter as if I were getting too fat for my clothes (when I definitely was not!); but I was living in a smaller and smaller emotional space, there was less and less nearby room to escape into. Thus, the idea of a vacation! – getting somehow away from nearer-by to farther away. But where? And how?
     Reading Kristin Lavransdatter was not the answer. Reading was not the answer. I read much as I imagine you read now (from what you write about your reading, what you’ve written about Kristin). You don’t so much go to the book as it comes to you. You don’t lose yourself in it, but you are always present, wondering why? why? why? Or, you’re thinking, “This is just what I would do! How can she be so stupid?” You’re always judging what the characters are thinking and doing and simultaneously judging yourself. At least, that’s what I did, and reading ceased to be a joy; it became an exercise, increasingly demanding and draining.
     Sometimes drugs helped, especially mixed with a little alcohol – and the alcohol mixed with a little company if I could get myself out and I could find someone to talk (or listen) to. But that was hard. Who would want to talk with me who didn’t want to talk with herself?
     I’m a little easier about things now. Sometimes it’s good to be dead, not pressed by time or space  - where there is neither (in any sense I understood before; nor can I explain it now – don’t ask!). There is no harrying, no hurrying.
     So, don’t you be in a hurry to get started on new plans. The sooner you do, the sooner you’ll be looking for the wrong turns you’re about to make. Take your time in getting started. Take your time once you do.
     I don’t know what else to say at the moment. I sense that reading this is only going to make you both more determined and sadder. I am sorry for that. Neither is the result I want for you. I only want you to be happier.
     Please, please, be more lighthearted, my beloved brother,
                                                                                                 Moira

“May I see it,” Dr. Feight said.
     “Well,” I said, “it’s just a copy I typed out.”
     “Hmmm,” he said. Then, “Is this right? Is this the way you read?” he asked.
     “Pretty much,” I said.

08.21.19
_______________
 * Dramatis Personae. The Uncle Albert page still isn’t ready. But you can read about how (and why) he accompanies me to my appointments with Dr. Feight here. And about Moira here.

No comments:

Post a Comment