Friday, October 12, 2018

Loss of faith.

 Loss of faith. 

“It was a long time ago,” Uncle Albert was saying, “probably in the early fifties, I read Orwell; so I don’t remember any of it very well. Animal Farm first, I think, then 1984, then Down and Out and Burmese Days, Homage to Catalonia, Wigan Pier. But I went to bed last night and I woke up this morning thinking about A Clergyman’s Daughter. Did you ever read that?”
     “No,” I said.
     “I was going to ask you what you remembered.”
     “Oh,” I said. “What were you thinking about it?”
     “That you should read it if you hadn’t, so we could talk about it.”
     “Oh,” I said.

“It’s a good book for you,” Uncle Albert said, “if I remember it correctly.”
     “What’s it about?”
     “A loss of faith, if I remember right - a loss of faith that just steals up on the main character, the daughter. I was trying to remember her name this morning,” he said. “I think it was Dorothy,” he said. “She’s the dutiful daughter of her rector father, doing half his work now her mother’s dead. Then, something happens. She blacks out while working late at night on some church project, sewing costumes for a pageant or something like that. And she comes to in back-alley London, dressed in rags and completely unaware of who she was. Not who she is because she’s someone else now. She joins a ‘gang’ of sorts, and they go on the road. They’re on their way to Kent, I think it is, where they’re harvesting hops and they hope to get work. They do. It’s all very rough.
     “Then, somehow, her memory comes back to her. She writes her father, but he doesn’t answer directly. She somehow gets connected with an uncle that has connections, and he gets her a job teaching in a girls’ school, a horrid place. Schools are always horrid places in Orwell, even more horrid than hops fields or London streets.
     “Eventually, I don’t remember how, she gets back to wherever she began - Suffolk? - her father’s drudge again. But somehow in there, I think it’s when she’s in the school, she realizes she’s lost her faith. It’s not because of anything that’s happened to her; maybe it’s not so much that she’s lost it - it’s just gone. Something has changed in the chemistry of her brain, in the climate her thoughts live in, and it’s extirpated.”

I looked at him. “Extirpated?” I said.
     “Like birds, when all of a sudden they’re no longer in a habitat they’ve always been in before.”
     “Oh,” I said. Then: “So why does she go back to her father?”
     “That’s what I was trying to remember,” Uncle Albert said. “She has another option. There’s an old roué of sorts that has had his eye on her for a while; and he’s willing even to marry her if he can take her away. But it’s not really an option, because she can’t stand to be touched.
     “Besides, I was remembering this morning - I couldn’t last night, but it came to me this morning, and I think I have it right. Besides, she thinks that ‘the Christian way of life’ is really what she knows, whatever she believes. And besides, she realizes, she can be helpful to the poor, miserable people of her father’s parish, who need their faith, however confused, even misguided, it is. She realizes that atheism is for the privileged, the exceptionally fortunate.”
     “Those that fly first-class,” I said.
     “What?”
     “I was thinking the other day,” I said. “Why do I listen to pundits and politicians, Talkers, that fly first-class or ride in the business car on the train? They know nothing about me. Why do I pay any attention to people that went to Harvard or Yale and have lived in the Northeast ever since? They live in a different climate altogether. They don’t think the way I do, and they have no idea about the way I think.”
     “I went to Yale,” Uncle Albert said.

But I don’t think he did. He didn’t, I decided. He was only saying he did to see what I’d say.

10.12.18

No comments:

Post a Comment