Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Logic chopping.

 Logic chopping.

Tom Nashe rejoins us after a long absence to comment from time to time on the state of punditry in America.

I haven’t mentioned Tom’s illness because he asked me not to. “If I were really sick,” he said at one point, “I’d say go ahead. But I’m only sick-and-tired.” This was some time ago before he left for South Dakota to spend a month in a foreign land with Venitia Pettice’s parents: “To try to learn a new language,” he said. (On South Dakotan, see here.)
     The month turned into two, turned into four, turned into four times four. Two weeks ago he returned to his one-room apartment in Lexingford, “a wiser, happier man,” he told me.
     “I am ready to read the papers again,” he said, “though I am not ready to watch television or listen to the radio.”
     “Are you ready to write again?” I asked.
     “No,” he said, “but I might try from time to time anyway. Do a bit of logic-chopping if nothing else.”

Thus ... (See here.) (And welcome back, Tom!)
10.10.18

No comments:

Post a Comment