Sunday, April 22, 2018

Sunday to Sunday

 Sunday to Sunday 

Last.
“You’ve heard me talk about Gaspar Stephens.” I was sitting in Nils Sundstrøm’s tiny kitchen.
Nils Sundstrøm’s dish towel
     “No, I don’t think I have.”
     “He teaches ‘Western Thought’ at St. James - English University in Santo Domingo.”
     “Oh, that Gaspar Stephens.” Nils was being sarcastic.
     “Well, he’s a good guy,” I said. I knew I sounded defensive. Then, I was trying to decide whether to press on with it: Gaspar had emailed me about Axel and Nils. (The story begins here; Gaspar’s email is here.) It didn’t take long.
     I said, “Never mind.” Then, “What have you been reading?” - just to change the subject.
     Adam Bede,” he said, “Or the Parable of the Older Brother’s Revenge.”
     “Oh,” I said, but I didn’t mean it.
     “The good brother steals the younger’s party,” he said.
     “Oh,” I said again.

This.
 Today’s lesson from the Gospel. Jesus sneaks one in on too-pleased-with-himself John and his too-pleased-with-themselves readers: “I am the good shepherd,” Jesus tells his disciples. “And you are my sheep.” They know that, they say. “But I have other sheep, not of his fold. I must bring them in as well, and maybe they will listen to me.” [John 10:14-16, TRV]

04.22.18

No comments:

Post a Comment