Saturday, April 7, 2018

Really!

continued from here.

 Last Call, Last Night. Really. 

The phone rings, or it doodles like a mad clarinet - the same cell phone. It says it’s 11:57 pm, and it’s “Thomas Hobbes” - +44 1865 ƻ7ƱƱƱƱ.
     I move the flashing phone icon in the center of the screen toward the green one that appears on the right. I say, “Yes?”
     “It’s Hobbes,” the phone says.
     “I see that,” I say.
     “I’m sorry,” the phone says. “It’s late. I realize that now. It’s damn early here.”
     “It is,” I say. “But it’s okay - I’m up.”
     “What do you know about someone named Axel Sundstrøm?” the phone asks.
     “The preacher? … Lutheran,” I say.
     “What?”
     “Nothing,” I say.
     “Explains it,” the phone says.
     “What?” I say.
     “Explains it,” the phone says again.
     “Oh,” I say. It makes sense at the time.
     “Sorry to bother you,” the phone says.
     “Okay,” I answer. “Good-bye?”
     “Yes. Thanks. Ta.”

The phone clicks like a candle guttering out. It reads 12:00.

04.07.18

No comments:

Post a Comment