Saturday, December 31, 2016

The day the Muzak died

 The day the Muzak died . . . 

Arrangers arrange for themselves, their interests; their imaginations don’t extend farther than the edges of the pads they make their lists on. If others benefit . . . “Oh. Yes. Good.” If others suffer harm . . . it was an arranger that coined the term “collateral damage.” It benefited knife-nosed Jürgen, Molly’s local brother-in-law (See chart.*) – to get rid of as many complications as possible as soon as possible. Two, easily dispensed with he thought surely, were the Blazer and me.
     It didn’t occur to him – or he didn’t care; in either case, it wasn’t on the list – that the driver of the vehicle didn’t have a driving license, only the clothes on his back, the money remaining in the glove compartment, and Paperback Dostoevsky.
     The driving license wasn’t on my list either until I had driven about two hours and saw the first police car I’d seen all trip. It was then I started a list. It was of things I might need that I was missing: 1. a driving license. 
Writing on the
wind with water.
     I might also need a map, if I was going to stay off major highways, which seemed a good idea. Seemed, because I had no idea really what I was going to do next.

Here is what I learned in my December term at Bedlam College, where everyone’s major is Philosophy (and everyone’s minor Tautology): The future is a blank: whatever comes next is the next thing. 
     So: I didn’t want to go back there; and I was clear both that there must be alternatives but also that those alternatives were, as the Poet said, written on the wind with water.

I stopped for gas and lunch about halfway and about three-quarters to pee in a field.

The end.
12.29.16
_______________
* You can't tell the players without a scorecard:

2 comments:

  1. Looking at the end of your post I sense a Hoffman sentence diagramming influence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the sainted Rosemary, a subject for "Where is she now?"

      Delete