Saturday, December 17, 2016

Commitment, or how we got to this point.

 Commitment 

Or, how we got to this place.
Let's say I work in H.R. in one of those “small but vibrant” companies, where everyone knows everyone else, and this happened several weeks ago.
     I come into my office to complain to myself about me. Naturally, I TRY to deflect the complaints, “Yes. Yes. I know. But you know that underneath he’s not a bad guy.” I’m not convinced: “Yeah, I don’t know. Way underneath he’s, you know . . .” I circle my ear with my forefinger.  
     Ultimately I convince myself that my assurances about me are sounding pretty hollow. Officially, I can’t admit as much, but I promise to take my complaints seriously.
     And the next day I call me in. On the one hand, I’m taken completely by surprise; but on the other, I can’t disagree.
12.16.16

1 comment:

  1. "One of those 'small but vibrant companies'" that don't exist except in the minds of the Small Business Administration, I take it. Surely this is fiction.

    ReplyDelete