Monday, October 10, 2016

Eyeless in Gaza

 Eyeless in Gaza   

A little more than two years ago,* I wrote about the day my foot came off and my forearm; skin on my torso was rolling up like window shades and blowing away like tumbleweed. I found the foot, eventually, in the clutter on my desk – and the part of the arm, fingers still wiggling, in a book I’d almost forgotten I had. It was marking my place where I’d stopped reading years before. The skin was stuck to the screens of two upstairs windows and worked miraculously like tape, so I got myself back together in time for an appointment I had for lunch, though I did miss a morning’s work.
     When I woke up this morning I couldn’t see, and I didn’t know how I would find my eyes without them; but they hadn’t gone anywhere – it was just that my eyelids were glommed shut. A hot cup of coffee applied directly to the sockets usually takes care of that.

Bob, puttin' on the Freud
I called Bob, my amateur therapist,** while the lids were coming unglued. Did he want to join me for a drink*** today after work? “I’m not working,” he said.
     “I know,” I said, “but I am.”
     “So, why are you calling me from home?”

10.10.16
_______________
  * See here.
 ** And here, and here.
*** And here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment