Friday, December 19, 2014

A Day in Madrid



December 19, 2014

Carpe Diemn

One last confused attempt to “take the day,” and to say what that means.
          I have this from Gaspar Stephens: “But back to the honest-ad-deum Latin, I am of the impression that we do not - cannot! - seize a damn thing, that we are, on the contrary, seized by, but that in our hubris we spin the story so that we are all seizers. Et tu, Brute?
          I don’t think we’re all seizers. (See Take Five. But I don’t think we’re seized either. Currently I’m thinking about it this way: we are discoverers.
          I happen to be in Lisbon – it doesn’t matter how I got there. What does matter is that I have long wanted to visit the Prado in Madrid and especially I have wanted to see VelázquezLas Meninas. So, I find a place to stay near the museum; I rent a car; I drive to Madrid; I eat a late supper; I sleep.The next morning, I get up; I eat a big breakfast, because I don't know when I'll eat again; I walk to the museum; I buy my ticket and get with it a map to the galleries. I find my way into the room where the painting is displayed and I see it; I walk up to it, and then I walk into it, where there is more than to see – though I do walk around the painter to try to see what he sees and also how he is brushing it into life on the canvas. But there is more than to see; there is to hear – brush against palette, rustle of skirts, chatter and squeak of conversation; there is to smell – powder and paint, sweat, dog; if I were invisible I could reach out and – I imagine I am invisible and I can feel the fabric of the Infanta’s dress, I can put my hand in front of the painter’s canvas and feel his brush pass through it; though I cannot be seen and I cannot speak, I bow to the king and the queen you (on the outside) can only see in the mirror. Then I follow Don José Nieto Velázquez, the queen’s chamberlain, out into the hallway, where I am visible again, and he shows me how to come back into the world. In the world, I come back to Lisbon, to Madrid, to the museum, to the painting in the Prado. I think, “I’ll walk into it again.”
          It’s a small enough adventure, a plane, a car, a room, a walk; but I go to it, it doesn’t come to me. And I go through it, as well.

(You can see the painting and play with it on the Museo del Prado site.)

          A Song On the End of the World
            Czeslaw Milosz, 1911 - 2004

On the day the world ends
A bee circles a clover,
A fisherman mends a glimmering net.
Happy porpoises jump in the sea,
By the rainspout young sparrows are playing
And the snake is gold-skinned as it should always be.

On the day the world ends
Women walk through the fields under their umbrellas,
A drunkard grows sleepy at the edge of a lawn,
Vegetable peddlers shout in the street
And a yellow-sailed boat comes nearer the island,
The voice of a violin lasts in the air
And leads into a starry night.

And those who expected lightning and thunder
Are disappointed.
And those who expected signs and archangels’ trumps
Do not believe it is happening now.
As long as the sun and the moon are above,
As long as the bumblebee visits a rose,
As long as rosy infants are born
No one believes it is happening now.

Only a white-haired old man, who would be a prophet
Yet is not a prophet, for he’s much too busy,
Repeats while he binds his tomatoes:
No other end of the world will there be,
No other end of the world will there be.

            Copyright © 2006 The Czeslaw Milosz Estate.
m

No comments:

Post a Comment