Sunday, November 23, 2014

Home from Paradise



Michel bundled up in Paradise
November 23, 2014
Home from the Ice and the Fire

So where have I been? – my two readers want to know. I'm just back from Paradise. Why else would I be misappropriating quotes from a 16th-century Frenchman.  Here is Montaigne on education – though he might as well be talking about politicians as about teachers.  According to the TRV:

  • When . . . parents and teachers are permitted to lash out at and punish their children out of passion, it is no longer correction but revenge.
  • Enter one of our schools; what will you hear? – the voices of teachers drunk with wrath. 
  • They are forever thundering in our ears as though pouring into a funnel . . . .
  • Virtue has its excesses, which stand in need of moderation, no less than vice.  Therefore, lest I wither and dry up with prudence, I shall step softly aside and, turning my eyes from the gray sky always ahead look toward the sun behind . Because –
  • I hate these carping and morose fellows who dodge all the joys of life but glue themselves to its evils – like leeches that suck nothing but bad blood.



Speaking of Armageddon. Those that know me, know that I am not particularly political, but I have spent this past week at Uncle Albert’s, listening to CNN and Fox. If you want to hear what I heard – whatever was said, this is what I heard – if you want to hear what I heard, click here.

i

No comments:

Post a Comment