Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Little Apple

The color of Manhattan, KS,
just before dawn when we arrive.

June 2, 2014
Sam and Patsy

I’m still driving when we get to Manhattan, where Roz puts away the map, returns to earth, and directs me through the dark. Her parents’ house is like Tom’s in this sense: I know where it is; I’ve been there a dozen times; I can never find it.
     Whatever time it is, and however quietly we slink in, Patsy wakes up; then, she has to get up to see we know where we’re going and we have everything we need. It’s not Southern hospitality, though Patsy grew up in New Orleans. (But then, New Orleans is not in the South.) It’s Midwestern efficiency from all the years she and Sam, who was born to it in Vermillion, South Dakota, have been living in the plains states. I like Patsy whatever you may (soon) think. And I like Sam, who can’t get up so quickly but yells out, “Glad you’re here. Glad safe” from the bedroom.

Sam is very much like Roz . . . or she is very much like him, a peacemaker above almost all else, therefore willing to go to some lengths to please or appease. Some lengths but not any length, "some" being clearly finite and "any" less so. And the older one gets, Sam testifies, the closer is the end of one’s tether.
     It’s an odd metaphor, for the older we become the slower and weaker we are. We can’t dash to the end of our rope the way we once could, yanking it, leaning and leaping until our front paws leave the ground, barking and twisting at the same time. And the rope must age as well like our muscles, bones, brains, bowels shrivel, harden, become more brittle. Yet, we can no more break the rope, raveled as it’s become we can no more snap it than we could when we were young and strong but it was stronger we can no more break it than those years ago; but we can get to the end of it quicker, and the end is more irritating when we get there. Now, it tugs at us and scrapes where the fur has worn away, leaving old, fragile skin; and we yawp and rasp like a toy with a bad cold.

Sam’s stroke has left him with a limp in leg and voice. He can register his complaint, bark it out; but he can no longer follow it up. His mind continues, but his speech lags behind. He can speak, clearly, articulately; but he can no longer argue.
     Part of me wonders whether that matters. Patsy has never been susceptible to reason in any case. Like Pascal’s heart, she has her own reasons. But, if it doesn’t matter to her, it does to him. He no longer has the satisfaction of advancing an argument of framing it in his mind, organizing it, and laying it out. He can no longer quash the inevitable interjections with “I’m not done yet” or “Hear me out.”(You may not listen, but ti stille and pretend to. I am listening, and I will hear myself out from start to finish. I’ll have that satisfaction if no other.)
     Now, he can only start whatever he was going to say. He cannot continue through the interruption. The tether is not only taut and the collar is not only rubbing his naked neck, the two together are choking him. He can only retreat two squeaking steps and lie down.
     And she can win the day and her way, crowing like a rooster, on the same three harsh, shrill notes. The old dog and the rooster.

“It’s not a pretty picture,” as people like to say — certainly unflattering and probably not fair to Patsy, who ends up the "distaff rooster," loud and determined, Napoleonic however tall, even willowy, she remains.
     She is not at all like Roz; or Roz does not resemble her. And this is physical as well as temperamental. Fair Patsy is, even at her age — and she was thirty when Roz was born, a late, lone child Patsy is still tall, straight, graceful, lissome. Sam and Roz are short, dark and somehow simultaneously plump and wiry. Patsy looks like a former model now a duchess. They look like mathematicians, who decided to leave equations behind and open a pizza house, if only because only the law of truly large numbers could account for that.

And as much as I sympathize with Sam and love poor, peacemaking Roz, I don’t want to excoriate Patsy. She is sweet and funny as hell.  In addition, she and I are alike. At least: we both have opinions, largely unfounded, about nearly everything, yet we can only keep one thing in mind at a time. So we have to keep crowing on the same three notes until the thought in our head at that moment is exhausted — and lies down itself like a poor old dog come to the end of his rope; only then can another idea come in.
* * *

The Beecher Bible and Rifle Church: Apologia pro torpedine sua. I admit it: I’m no more Royko than Gabe Harvey. (See yesterday's post.) If Gabe lacked Royko's sense of humor, I don't have his demon.* This is a way of saying I’m reneging on my intention to write more about the Bible and Rifle Church by referring you to more knowledgeable sources. (See here and here. The first is a Kansas State web site. The second an even more complete history of the church, worth reading is a reproduction of the brochure I found in the mailbox. I'll have to say it's sideways when I view it; so if any of you know how to rotate it, let this technological fool know.)
     I recommend the story, incidentally, to my friends that teach American history, noting that Wabaunsee is less than 45 miles west of the “home” of Brown vs. the Board of Education . . . of Topeka.
j


* Studs Terkel, who explained Royko’s ability to write five days a week from 1964 to 1992, when he cut back to a mere four, that simply: “He is possessed by a demon.” I’m not saying I don’t have my demons; they’re just not as productive as Royko’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment