Thursday, April 24, 2014

Florida, last stop: Fractions

Key West, April 11
April 6-13, 2014 (again)
Dateline Florida: Fractions

“Did you ever notice no one goes anywhere cold to find themselves?” Tom Nashe, among many others.

No, we go to the south-by-the-sea, to eat cheaply − olives and  fruit and loaves and fishes − to drink the wine; to lie on the beach and think ourselves pilgrims; to look out over the water and into the horizon as the sun turns to dusk turns to dark; to imagine we are free, and happy, ourselves, at last.
          And behind us, only yards from where the beach ends and the street begins, the already happy natives are cleaning our rooms, making our beds and mopping our floors; they are baking our bread, frying our fish, mixing our drinks; they are minding our stores and making our music; and they sweep the streets and rake the sand before we get up in the morning. They burn their candles at both ends, hustling by day and allowing themselves to be hustled at night, working two jobs eight days a week. When do they drink wine or watch the sunset? They go to bed in the dark and they get up in the dark. They may lie down next to another warm body, smelling of sea, sweat, and sand, but that body is already asleep; it has to be up even darker.

***

Contemplation has been for all my devoted non-effort at that non-activity something I have consistently failed at. And I consider that my good fortune. It is better for our humility to fail at becoming “mystical” than to succeed; for those that have succeeded in whatever measure are in my experience the most prideful prigs in all the south, unbelievably arrogant about their own humility before God. They are humble before nothing or no one else; no one else can be other than inferior before their God-infused selves. They may talk and they are always talking about their non-selves: they are no longer themselves but God in them; but it is always to boast. “We have found ourselves and it is God in us. We have God in us!”

***

We have just walked kitschy Key West – Castle and Neff and I. Now they are off looking for more birds and plants in the botanical gardens behind the golf course north of the town. I am sitting at a table on the sidewalk in town, drinking something Bobby brought me “Whatever,” I said something wide and cold, tasting of mango and gin. I am listening to the music bumping and ringing out of the bar across the street. A gaggle of seven-eighths naked girls wriggle by. Apparently, they’ve just been swimming. The youngest is complaining she smells “like butt.” Bobby chuckles from the doorway, where he stands, arms folded. I seem to be his only customer this early afternoon. “Never been in the ocean before, I’m guessing,” he says. “Another?” “Will I be able to stand up and walk away?” “I’ll call you a pedi-cab if you can’t.” “Good. Another!”
          Bobby’s from Miami. The mosquito-like waitress at “The Wooden Spoon,” where I had breakfast this morning, is from Brooklyn. The lanky, low-voiced woman or boy behind the cash register where I bought my US-1 zero-mile-marker keychain, explaining why a credit card would be better even if it only cost four bucks, because he or she can’t seem to get the damn register to balance, is from Madison, Wisconsin.
          Two-thirds in my cups, I imagine that they are spiritual failures like I am. They came to south-by-the-sea to find themselves, or at least to find freedom, but. . . .  When I ask how they got from there to here: The woman-or-boy just shrugs. Liselotte (the waitress) says only, “You know how one thing leads to another.” I nod, though I do and I don’t. I wonder what they make of these failures I attribute to them. Are they saddened by them – and envious of the mystical few, as I once was? Do they think, as I do now, of “that foolishness” as “a phase”? Are they amused (and bemused) at the grandiosity that led them to believe they could come where it was warm and the mangos were cheap and stuff their cheeks with the pulp of the tree of Knowledge and . . . live?! For aren’t all spiritual adepts would-be Gnostics like Adam and Eve? Eat or know the Right Thing, and you will be like God.

***

I sit and watch and listen and smell. Bobby brings me a third whatever, and I call Castle to tell him I can’t meet by the church, he’s going to have to pick me up. I give the phone to Bobby, so he can give him directions.
          “Thanks,” I say. “You know, you’re a great guy.” And I plan to leave a big tip, no matter what the drinks are costing. “You like it here?” I ask. Bobby shakes his head. He guesses he does. “Good as anywhere,” he says.
          I do like it here, in my stupor. I like that it’s warm and that there are girls that smell like butt and music that bumps and bongs and people that mix sweet drinks that take away your good sense. I like that it’s bright and noisy and gently rude; I like that it’s tacky and honestly dishonest, that somewhere within a couple of blocks, there is a store selling the right sort of crap for everyone from the cheapest to freest-spending, from the stinkiest to sweetest-smelling, from the humblest to most arrogant. Shop right up!  Buy happiness here.

d

No comments:

Post a Comment