Thursday, April 3, 2014

Bad back blessings

The blessing of a bad back – a day off 
(Friday, April 3, 2009)

Emile Cioran writes, “I am neither unhappy enough to be a poet nor as indifferent as a philosopher” (Tears & Saints, 104). But are all poets unhappy? Are all philosophers indifferent?  Philosophers are always arguing a 
Emile Cioran
case; they become philosophers because they are not indifferent. And poets may write of unhappiness, but they can be happy doing so.

The blessed bad back means above all that there is no need to be doing something every minute. I've left John Calvin at work, where he likes to sit on my shoulder like a giant parrot, talons digging into flesh to maintain  his balance, squawking loudly: “Don’t let me fall. Don’t let me fall.” How could he sit on my shoulder anyway, if I am lying down?
          The blessed bad back means I can lie here and just listen to the day tapping at the window, the the weather blowing in and out; I can hear the dark pushed apart, the ping of a slant of sunshine. “Come out. Play. The air is lighter now.” Here is why Cioran spent his days in the bowels of the library. He didn’t want to hear the sun’s invitation. But I like the sun. And if I cannot go out today, I can follow it hobbling from room to room with the dog.

I like the sun. I’m not looking for a dark, tragic vision. I know, Emile, that life will end in death and after that there will be either nothing  or judgment.
          I’m not looking for a comic vision either, because it, too, depends on an after. I’m not looking for a vision at all, but for a ph&ra, if I can mean by that a bag of tricks as well as sustenance.[1]  Here are not only lentils and figs, a spoon and a cup for water. Here is the trick for enjoying a sunny day; here is the trick for soaking in the rain. Here is a reverie to calm the day; here is revelry to pass the evening; here is a dream to while away the night.
          I’m not looking for a philosophy. I lack anyway the philosopher’s “indifference”; and I’m not interested in finding it. I’m not looking for a psychology – for psychology is either philosophy (as in Freud) or a science; I’m no good at science even of the softest, smooshiest kind. And religion? No, I’m not looking for religion either: nothing so high and mighty, so serious; nothing with theologians and lawyers and priests.
          If not a ph&ra, since I’m not much of a traveler, I may look for a bar, where hypocrisy is acknowledged because some drunken night or another it will out. But then, it will, after it’s been the joke for several days it will fade, not forgotten but not never used as a weapon.
          Peace!

I think on the bar, there will be a copy of the Greek Anthology. Here’s a drinking song certainly in the mode of and possibly inspired by the Anthology.






[1] The Cynic’s knapsack. Here is John Desmond’s definition: “traveler’s bag of sack. Part of the Cynic’s typical garb and the name that Crates gives his utopia, because it contains no coins but only simple, natural things such as figs and thyme” (Cynics, 243).

No comments:

Post a Comment