Friday, May 26, 2023

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

 Sorry, sorry, sorry. 

Isabel Monk                                                                                                  WED, MAY 24 6:30AM ó : 6
to Ted (crabbiolio@gmail.com)

I am so sorry if I chewed your ear off yesterday. I have been worrying about that since we talked. Or I talked at you. I shouldn't get so upset about things I can do nothing about. I accuse other people of being prideful, but then I am. - Bel
____________________________________________________________________________________

Ted Riich                                                                                                     WED, MAY 24 3:30PM ó : 6
to Isabel (imonk@yabyum.org)

How long did you "chew"? five minutes? And my ears agreed with your mouth.
     I have two friends who have
in one case intentionally and in the other I believe un-, rather by sheer good luck memorized hundreds and thousands of lines of poetry. If called up, I could recite, besides nursery rhymes, psalms, and limericks, maybe 39 lines total. But among them would be these, an accidental credo:

I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?
Then there’s a pair of us!

Don't tell! they'd advertise – you know!


How dreary – to be – Somebody!
How public – like a Frog –
To tell one’s name – the livelong June –
To an admiring Bog!

The first two or three lines are a bit irritating, I must admit. But from there on: "They'd advertise," because they always do. But "How public – like a Frog" may be my favorite five words ever strung together.

Ted
____________________________________________________________________________________

The virtues of humility. The virtue of humility. How to write about either one? — but especially the last. There is the immediate thought, that humility has never been a virtue, at least not one that anyone has truly believed in. No one has championed it without tongue firmly in cheek, at least not for him- or herself. And to claim it is arrogance.
     So I am stymied.
                                                                            05.26.23

No comments:

Post a Comment