Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Lost Cause

  Lost Cause 

 Nils was saying to Miss Virginia.

 “What are you writing,” Roz said, looking over my shoulder.
     I gestured at the screen. “I was going to add,” I said, “‘For me? You wouldn’t do that ... for me?’ Is that too much?”
     “Yes.” she said. “It is. Besides, None of it is remotely true.”
     “Well,” I said. Not “Well, ...” as if I were going to go on from there. I just said, “Well.” (period)
     “It’s a lie,” Roz said. “As far as you know, Nils and your stunning rector have
never met.”
     “All writing is a lie,” I say (present tense because I am always saying this). “As soon as you put the third word behind the second, you have departed from the truth.”
     “‘Departed from the truth,’” she said. “What a mouthful. Look at me.” And she shook her head.

I am in sitting in Uncle Albert’s chair. Roz is standing behind me. “I wasn’t going to put it up,” I say, looking at her. “I wasn’t going to publish it,” looking away. She leans over and puts her cheek on top of my head; she rests it there for several seconds. She smells like herself, wonderful. She stands up again.
     “You really don’t like Nils!” she said. “Do you?”
     “I try to,” I say. “Besides, you don’t really like him either.”
     “He’s not my favorite human being, but I don’t dislike him. I think you do. Why?”
     “I was reading an op-ed in the Times today. It was about ‘woke’,” I said. “It said something like ‘you don’t like “woke”
you’ve made the word the butt of bad jokes because you want to stay asleep.’ You meaning we troglodytes that still read Scripture instead of the Times as Scripture.”
     “Hmmm,” Roz said.

Margaret Mitchell and Ernest Dowson
Hollywood, 1939

“I wanted comment on it, put up a comment on the article, that, actually, we poor, deluded, sleeping, drowning in our Gone with the Wind dreams don’t dislike ‘woke’ if it means ‘awakened’ but it’s become a synonym for ‘arrogant.’ And we didn’t make it that.”
     Gone with the Wind,” Roz said. “I read somewhere that it’s a line from a poem. Did you know that?”
     “Yes, by Dowson,” I said, and I put down the laptop and went off to find it because I couldn’t remember which poem.
     “Yes, you would,” Roz said after me. “Just the kind of think you'd know. You don’t have to find the book, you know,” she called. She meant I could have googled it. But I was already on the stairs.

 It was, I thought, in the one, the poem, with the refrain

I have been true to thee, Cynara
In my fashion.

But I couldn’t remember which one that was, one of those with a long title in Latin.*
                                                           _______________

 I had a letter a few days ago from my sister Moira. She writes a lot about how little people truly understand each other, even when we want to, even when we are desperate to do so.

 There are things, you know, that you both understand and don’t understand at the same time. You feel them achingly clear, but you can’t explain them. No matter how much you want to. You don’t have the language for it, however good a writer or talker you are.
     It’s as if you and I met for a day – we weren’t brother and sister, and we didn’t know each other. It’s as if we fell in love that day, but you spoke Hungarian and I spoke French, and we didn’t speak any other languages. And the day came to an end, and we were going to meet the next day, but we didn’t. Then, what we “knew” would be like that, feelings that we understood in some part of us, but neither of us could explain. What we knew about each other especially: We’d know it, but we couldn’t say it.

This isn’t true for the woke. They don’t have to speak your language to understand you. They don’t even have to have met you to know what you’ve been thinking, you simple-minded shit. What does it matter, you’re not going to get with the program anyway? Forget it. You’re a lost cause.

                                                                            11.17.21  

_______________
* You can read the poem, “Non sum qualis eram bonae sub regno Cynarae,” and listen to it here. It was the first of several episodes of “Love in the Time of Cholera,” another of my great ideas undone by my greater inability to keep at anything.
     The graphic is by mel ball.



No comments:

Post a Comment