Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Roz declines

  Roz declines the nomination.                                continued from here


“Roz?” Nils says.
     “What?” I answer.
     “I could speak to her, maybe?”
     “I don’t know. Wait.” And “Roz!” I call out before I put the phone down
– so Nils can
hear me. Roz is working the yard; she cannot. Then I wonder what I should count up to to have found her and talked to her and come back to the phone And I decide 100, if I can’t slowly. I sit down at the kitchen table. In the middle is the wooden salt and pepper Roz bought on a trip she and her friend Maggie took to Abingdon. (Where they saw a sign!)

 “Nils,” I say into the phone.
     “Yes.”
     “No.”
     “No what?”
     “Roz doesn’t want to talk to you.”
     “Oh.”
     “Yeah.” I try to sound sympathetic. I do sound sympathetic … like sugar and cinnamon. (I’m still sitting at the kitchen table.) Or a ballad sung by what-they-used to call

“a girl singer,” a really good one, like Norah Jones.
      “Did she say …” He doesn’t get to “why”; he interrupts himself: “Never mind.”
     “She said,” I talk over him, I jump in between ne- and -ver. I say, “she’d already voted” over
“mind.”

“Okay,” Nils says. “I don’t suppose … Albert?”
     “He’s asleep, I think.”
     “Yeah.” [Pause.] “Okay.” Nils sounds
– for once! – as if he doesn’t know what to say next.

 So, it’s been a good conversation.
                                                                  10.27.21
 


My friend Dietrich is trying to write epigrams. Again – he tried once before. You can judge his success. Let me know if you think I should discourage his continuing:

Forgivable Sin

She didn’t get the joke,
their hacking laughter.
“the suicide in love with death,
and life thereafter.
”

 Supplication

She shudders—she knows,
despite his airs,
how he paws her over
in his prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment