Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Yet another bad idea:

Joel Osteen by m. ball
 The gospel of Jesus of Nazareth 

 Dateline. The First Tuesday after Epiphany

                       And they came bearing gifts, gold . . . .

Why the gospel of success succeeds while the gospel of Jesus of Nazareth that preaches poverty and powerlessness cannot but fail. (I mean by succeeds gains followers, by fails loses them.) Who with any sense (any hope, any ambition) would choose that itinerant, murmuring, nonsensical rabbi over Joel Osteen with his big house, his expensive clothes; his blonde wife and straight teeth - with his amplified voice preaching surely, sensibly, and incontrovertibly that more is more? How can it not be? — It is the nature of tautologies that they must be true. So it is the nature of oxymorons, equations that cannot balance: they must be false. “Less is more” can not be so.

When I find myself wandering, hoping by odd chance that I will stumble into a store that is giving away what must make me feel better, I have to remind myself, “Wait. Stores don’t give away, do they?”

01.17.20

No comments:

Post a Comment