Saturday, November 9, 2019

What I am reading

 What I am reading 

Yesterday or the day before I went to see Dr. Feight. I went by myself; Uncle Albert didn’t come with me because he and Nils Sundstrøm were going to Seeville to a lecture on the uses of ground glass or something like that. Uncle Albert had rented a big car, and Nils was driving them.
     I say “yesterday or the day before” because I have momentarily lost track. Momentarily! I was seeing Dr. Feight on Mondays and Thursdays; then, at some point without my being aware of it, it became Tuesdays and Fridays. Or, maybe it was the other way around. (Check here.*)
     Today is Wednesday/Saturday. I know because I checked. But the time has changed. That happened several days ago. We “fell back,” so there is sun this morning, but it will be pitch dark by supper time.

I told Dr. Feight that I understood why people committed suicide: Nothing-at-all was better than nothing-making-sense. He asked me what I had been reading; at least, I think that’s what he asked. I said I wasn’t thinking about suicide for myself because I didn’t expect things to make sense; I was pretty sure they didn’t, only unimaginative people thought they could - fundamentalists, atheists, Fox and CNN “news” anchors, some teachers, some scientists.
     Then I said, “The Bell Jar.
     “Why, for God’s sake?” Dr. Tait said. He paused. “Why not something cheery like Wise Blood?”

11.09.19
_______________
 * There, too, you’ll find links to other posts featuring the good doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment