Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Conundrum roll, please.

 Conundrum roll, please. 

co·nun·drum kəˈnəndrəm 
noun     plural conundrums
confusing problem or question.
question asked for amusement; riddle.*

in a glass dimly
Dr. Feight** asked me Monday how I thought things were going.
     At first, it felt an odd question, unsettling, as if he were not sure himself and needed reassurance from me. Surely that was not the case?
     I just said, “Fine.” I couldn’t think of anything else to say.
     Later, I thought he was trying to throw me off-guard. And he had, but why?
     Still later, I decided it was just a casual question. He wasn’t asking how things were going in my Therapy or in my Life but just that day, that minute. He wasn’t asking how I thought things were going but just “How’s it going?” But why, then, had he added, “do you think”? “How are things going, do you think?” That’s what I remembered his saying.

It’s hard to admit this, but while I have acquaintances, I have no friends. We - my “friends” and I - can talk about religion and politics, but I can’t talk about myself.
     The only person I could ask what he thought Dr. Feight was up to is Dr. Feight.

01.04.18
_______________
  * The word may have been coined by Thomas Nashe as a term of abuse for a crank or pedant. It later came to mean “whim or fancy.” Its current senses apparently date from the late 17th century.
 ** Dr. Feight has been my psychotherapist since January of last year. See here for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment