Sunday, May 6, 2018

Next slide, please.

 Next slide, please. 

I went to church alone this morning, for when I went to pick up Uncle Albert, he wasn’t ready: he’d forgotten it was Sunday. But I should go on anyway - to represent us, he said. So, I went, saying I’d come back to check on him, even if, as he also said, I didn’t need to.
     So, I went - though I thought of getting coffee instead. The church thing has been for several weeks now more wearing than a “blessing in and of the spirit.” Still,I went to church  - though our rector, the former Miss Virginia, is on vacation for all of May, and her stand-in today was the so-ancient-as-to-be-almost-invisible, the almost-inaudible Father Corbett, who, as I expected, preached about the great mumbledy-squeak-mumbledy mysteries of God’s gracious mumbledy-squeak-mumbledy-amen. 

I went to church alone this Sunday, for when I went to pick up Uncle Albert, he wasn’t ready: he’d forgotten it was Sunday.
Next slide, please.
     When I got back to check on him, he was up, sitting at the kitchen table. He was dressed for church and wanted to know what time it was.
     “Almost nine o’clock,” I said.
05.06.18

No comments:

Post a Comment