Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Jesus and Proverbs

 Jesus and Proverbs 

Stalled on Highway 17 somewhere between Mattawa and North Bay, waiting for a tow truck. Uncle Albert said, “The Book of Proverbs is snootful of snot - and by ‘snot I mean ‘lies’ - wrapped in a tissue of half-truths.”
     “Where did that come from?" Roz turned around and asked just as I said, “That’s a little harsh, don’t you think?”
      Uncle Albert said, “It came from this. I was thinking of Jesus. What would he have said to it?”
      Neither of us said anything. Only, I turned around as well. “Think of the Sermon on the Mount,” Uncle Albert said, holding up his right hand, palm up. “Now think of Proverbs.” He held up his left and made a juggling motion like he was weighing Jesus’ wisdom on one side of a scale and Solomon’s on the other.
     Sometimes his knowledge of the Bible, great portions of it learned by heart in Methodist Sunday School beginning in 1927, astound me:

You have heard it said that “The blessing of the Lord makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.” But I say to you, “There are no riches that do not bring sorrow.”

You have heard it said, “The righteous is delivered from trouble, and the wicked gets into it instead.” But I to say to you, “Neither the righteous nor the wicked escapes.”

You have heard it said that “The fool will be servant to the wise.” But I say to you, “Who thinks he is wise is a fool.”

You have heard it said that, “A slothful man will not catch his prey, but the diligent man will.” But I say to you, “The prey catches the predator as often as the predator catches the prey.”

You have heard it said, “A cynic seeks wisdom in vain, but knowledge comes easily to a man of understanding.” But I say to you, “There are cynics among the understanding, and they know that true knowledge comes easily to no man.” You have heard also that “He who gets wisdom loves himself.” But I tell you that “The wise know better.”

You have heard it said, “Spare the rod and spoil the child.” But I say to you, “Spare the child.” By the same token, you have heard that “You should wage war only by wise guidance.” But I say to you, “Seek no guidance, wage no war.” For those that have a passion for violence, their bones will rot from their passion.
Dave hears the end of
what Uncle Albert has to say.

Unfortunately, the guy that got out of the truck - his name was neither Sol nor Jesus (Hay-soos). It was Dave.

08.30.17

_______________
Proverbs 10:22; 11:8; 11:29; 12:27; 14:6, 19:8; 13:24, 20:18, 14:30

No comments:

Post a Comment