Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Left Behind

to listen, read aloud
 Left Behind 

I was supposed to go back to work today, but I didn’t because I was flying to the Upper Peninsula with Uncle Albert, but I didn’t fly to the Upper Peninsula with Uncle Albert because our flight out of Seeville was postponed which meant we’d miss our connections in Albuquerque. So we rescheduled: we fly out tomorrow on an early morning flight via Boise. (Instead of Seeville-Albuquerque-Minneapolis-Sault Ste. Marie, we fly Seeville-Boise-Ugol’nyy-Windsor-the Soo. There are more connections to make, but it actually takes less time, 21 hours instead of 22:30.)

on leave for madness or other mettle defect
I’m not going back to work now until April 3, the day after my birthday. Until then I am still on “leave for madness or other mettle defect.” And I have to check in with Dr. Feight at least twice weekly.

Uncle Albert bore the change in plans well. A friend of his had emailed asking about Sundstrøm’s yesterday’s rant.

I write to you because I understand your mad nephew has something to do with this blog. But I also understand both that you are keeping an eye on him and that you know this Sundstrøm character. Madness excuses much. Still, maybe you can intervene; and I can at least get an answer to the most pressing unanswered question. I’m not saying that Mr. Sundstrøm’s  argument will be sustained by a cogent answer, but it certainly falls without one.

Uncle Albert said, “Cincinnatus is not a patient man. Its good that were here and not traveling today – I can write him back right away. Call Sundstrøm.” I needed to call Sundstrøm because Axel’s is one of those voices that Uncle Albert can’t hear well on the phone (those that belong to people he doesn’t want to talk to at the time).
     “And what do I need to ask him?” I said.
     “What year is the microbus?”
    
“What did he say?” Uncle Albert asked when I’d hung up.
     “1958.”
     “That should satisfy,” Uncle Albert said. “What’s for lunch?”

03.01.17
Posted 03.03.

No comments:

Post a Comment