Monday, January 25, 2016

Much to the relief of all, I stop screwing with the future.


 Much to the relief of all, I stop screwing with the future. 

As the great American philosopher once wrote and his echo sang, “Time keeps slipping into the future.” Or, as I wrote more recently, “Life goes on. It’s one of its enduring characteristics.”  “Enduring,” I wrote, not “endearing,” because in truth we hate that, that life keeps going wherever it’s slipping off to. We want to freeze the future. Then,

It can go on as we are going on right now, and our understandings of the past don’t need to change and we don’t either. OR,
It can become what we want it to become. The past will cease, and sheep will forever be sheep and goats will be burned to a crisp. Our friends will get what they deserve (up to a point, so long as they don’t get any more than we deserve); and our enemies will be drowned in a vat of flaming, boiling shit. No one less than God* will see to this.
The world will get cooler instead of warmer.

This is the last I have to say on this matter,** as it is increasingly clear, I am told, that I don’t know what I am talking about (though it doesn't necessarily follow that what I have been saying isn’t true).

01.25.16


 **   at present

No comments:

Post a Comment