Monday, December 7, 2015

Lord, I don't want to be a "Christian"

 Lord, I don't want to be a Christian                                         

 I live in a small late-19th-century house in a small fictional town not far from where Woodrow Wilson
Who are you looking at, boy?
was born. These days I want to hasten to add: he wasn’t brought up around here. “He’s really from South Carolina,” I want to say, as if no Valley-of-Virginian of his generation could possibly think the way he did, who said about reconstruction that it was detested “not because the Republican Party was . . . but because the dominance of an ignorant and inferior race was justly dreaded,” and who believed that segregation was “not humiliating but a benefit,” no “distinctly to the advantage of” any belonging to that ignorant and inferior people.
     I live in a small late-19th-century house in a small fictional town not much farther from where Jerry Falwell, Jr. was born and brought up, who said recently (jokingly!) that if “some of those people in that community center [in San Bernardino] had what I have in my back pocket right now [meaning a handgun] . . . Well . . . I’ve always thought that if more good people had concealed-carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walked in and killed them.”

Wilson’s father was a Presbyterian preacherman. Falwell’s father was a Baptist preacherman. Wilson was president of a great Christian university; so is the younger Falwell.

ii
I am declaring here and now that I no longer want to be a Christian if Wilson was one, if Falwell is one. I am assuming they were/are, taking them at their word. In which case, I am from now on reserving the term “Christian” for those that proclaim they are, profess they are, professing, professional Christians - institutional Christians, graduates of Christian colleges certain about their God’s race and nationality and their own righteousness and the triumphal futures such a God has reserved for them.
     I am taking the term “follower of Jesus” for any that try to do that, follow Jesus, whatever their claims. However, I will assume none of these followers have concealed weapons permits, since the purpose of a concealed weapon is not to have to turn the other cheek; I will assume that none of these followers despise anyone Jesus would not despise, rather they will try with all might and main to love all Jesus would love.

iii
So, to paraphrase the old spiritual,

Lord, I don’t want to be a Christian . . .
Lord, I don’t want to be more holy . . .
Lord I want to be more loving . . .
Lord, I want to be like Jesus . . .

. . . not like Woodrow or Jerry or Pat or Billy – or Aimee or Tammy Faye – or anyone else. But knowing, Lord, I will fail, I will not judge anyone. Only, over there, please put your damned gun down and your hateful tongue back in your mouth.
12.07.15

No comments:

Post a Comment