Monday, May 26, 2014

Mad dreams



Melech Tzipardeiagh       &       Rosario Dawson
May 26, 2014 - Memorial Day 
Tea for Three at Hatter & Hare's

Emerging from a late-afternoon haze, a waking dream, it must be, because my sleeping dreams are quite different, more like silent movies in kaleidoscope.
          God appears – but in the form of a frog, a cartoon frog wearing a boater and big bow-tie. He says, “There are no longer consequences.”
          Now what? Do I say, “Wait!” − because the frog seems to be dancing his way off-stage? I do: “Wait. Help me think this through. Does it mean that it doesn’t matter what I do? Or,  does it mean one thing no longer follows another in any accountable way, which would not mean that I might not be held accountable but that no one could account for anything?” I hesitate but plunge on: “If the latter, how has the world changed?”
          And the frog chirrups or burps, “I rescind my offer.”
          “Wait!  Did you make an offer? You stated a fact.”
          “Perhaps. How clever of you to notice. I rescind my fact.”
          “Shit!” And I don’t believe I’ve said that,  “Shit!” to God, even guised as a frog, but I have: “Shit! You can do that?”
          “Of course.”
          “Any chance you’ll rescind your rescission?”
          “Perhaps. Another time. In the interim you might consider if you’re going to agree to it or try again to parse the terms.”
          “Yes.”
          “ Au revoir” he waves. And I heard him declaim as he rose out of sight: “You’re much too serious. Lighten up, my dear.” I thought I heard him . . . .

Scene Two. I’m telling Rosario Dawson about this, and she says it’s “bullshit.” She seems to think that may be a little harsh and adds:  “I’m not saying you didn’t see this. But God is not ever a frog.”
          “He was a pigeon once.”
          “Doves and pigeons are related; but they’re different birds.”
          “He was a dove then.”
          “Can frogs fly?”
          “Not normally, but . . . .”
          “He is right though − about you.” And she sucked in her breath, almost gasped. “Wait no.” Takes another breath. “Not God. Maybe the devil. It’s something the devil might say, ‘No consequences.’”
          “I don’t think . . . .”
          “No, no. It wasn’t a frog. You don’t know the difference between a pigeon and a dove. It wasn’t a frog; it was a toad. Don’t the angels find Satan

Squat like a Toad, close at the ear of Eve;
Assaying by his Devilish art to reach
The Organs of her Fancy, and with them forge
Illusions as he list, Phantasms and dreams
                        . . . . discontented thoughts,
Vain hopes, vain aims, inordinate desires

and so forth.”
          Out of the mouths of babes, I’m thinking, but I don’t say it, because it might be misinterpreted.
          “But, one thing whoever does have right: you do need to lighten up, amigo.”
          She looks at me. She looks serious. It must be mock-serious; she’s an actress. I say, “Do you want to go dancing then?” Not intentionally; those are the words that come out of my mouth.
          “With you?”

You pour your light heart out to some girls, and . . . nothing. “Adios,” she exclaimed as she rose out of sight. 

v
(bicbw)

No comments:

Post a Comment