Thursday, February 12, 2015

School Daze



February 12, 2015
A Handful of Semi-Related Propositions

I just finished Evelyn Waugh’s riotously funny Decline and Fall, so the matter of academic careers is on my mind. (See Go Around Back on the relevance of Scott Walker’s.)

Eve College, Oxbridge.
I never loved school till it was gone, even when it came 
back ‘round again. I only went back because I was treading water up to my lower lip in the real world – so-called! For what world is real and what world is fuzz depends on who’s lecturing whom.

I mentioned to Uncle Albert what a friend mentioned to 
me that a friend had mentioned to him with regard to his saying he’d never vote for Hillary: “Better the devil you know . . . .” His reply: “Better the devil you know . . . . 
Yes, if the devil weren't in every guise a chameleon.”

There’s a leak in the downstairs bathroom. And,

The Buddha was brought up by his mother’s younger sister, or if you're left-handed, his aunt.

b

No comments:

Post a Comment