Wednesday, July 23, 2014

golf-oscar-lamda-foxtrot

July 22, 2014
On Language, Pt. 2 

Il est . . . facile de se tromper sui-même sans s’en appercevoir  -  It is easy to deceive yourself without noticing - La Rochefoucauld (v:115)

For now we see through a glasse, darkely - I Corinthians 13:12

I ran into Hamlin Moody this morning. We play golf sometimes. He was on his way to the course; I was walking to work. He pulled over to “rub it in,” he said, though he didn’t look as glad to be off on a weekday as he said he was. He’s a bright enough guy, really good, so I hear, at what he does real estate closings, I think. Because we only play golf together, we don’t talk about work. In fact, all he ever talks about, as far as I know, is golf . . . and sex.
     He’s thinking about some way to spice up his marriage, and he read somewhere or saw on the internet that . . . . What do I think? Have whats-her-name and I . . . ? And it’s not nudge, nudge, wink, wink. He’s serious. At least, I always think so. And I shake my head because I can’t quite believe the question? because I have nothing to say? because I want to change the subject? because no, we never have? I shake my head.
     And then he’s talking about golf the state of his game as if the previous exchange had never taken place. Shut the door: He knows he can play better than he has been if he can just stay back and let go through impact.
     I nod now. And I think: for all his duo-mania, his sad song on two notes, he is a likable guy. There’s something in and behind that self-effacing misery he tries to mock. He has two passions he really thinks about, broods about, wonders about, studies . . . and he can understand neither, why they have hold of him, how they work, what they mean. He reads what people that allegedly do understand write about them; he watches videos; he thinks he gets it, and he knows he doesn’t.

But, he doesn’t give up. After a round, he’ll head out to the range and pound ball after ball in 90+ heat trying to figure it out. He takes lessons. He won’t believe he can’t get better: it’s not that he’s a complete klutz he played soccer in college, he’s a better-than-average pick-up basketball and slow-pitch softball player; he’s not an athletic embarrassment at anything except, sometimes-not-always golf. Which he loves. Which has him completely flummoxed. But he’s not giving up.

He calls me at work after his round, wants to know if I want to go out to get a beer later. I’m not sure I do, because we never have and do I want to start this?, but I end up saying, “Sure,” because I can’t think how to say, “No.” He says the golf went a little better today, at least than last time he and I played. If he could just be putting the way he should be putting!
     So tonight, after our beers, he’ll go out and roll putts. He’ll ask me if I want to go, and I’ll say, “Sure.” And we’ll roll putts hundreds of them in dozens of directions until we can’t see. Until, as the Poet says, we cannot see to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment